Smart & Caring Communities
When His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, gave the opening address at CFC 2011 Conference, he spoke passionately about his desire to make Canada a smarter and more caring nation.
As patron of Community Foundations of Canada, he asked community foundations across the country to consider ways they could contribute to his mission. His call to action inspired and motivated our movement - and Smart & Caring Communities is our response.
For more than 90 years, Canada's community foundations have dedicated themselves to building better places to live, work, and play. Smart & Caring Communities is a landmark effort that rallies Canada's 180+ community foundations in pursuit of two goals:
- Serve every community. Ensure every community is served by a community foundation by 2017 because having access to a community foundation means having a network of people, organizations, and resources dedicated to building 'smart and caring' communities each and every day.
- Connect the country. By establishing Smart & Caring Community Funds at community foundations across the country. The funds will give communities the flexibility they need to take advantage of local opportunities and help make them the smart and caring places we know they can be.
- Penticton, BC: “Our Smart & Caring Community Initiative will enable us to build a region where everyone is given the tools and means to become engaging and active members of their communities. Each community will be connected by the common goal of building a Smart & Caring Nation while they focus on making their unique vision a reality for their own Smart & Caring community. CFSO will be with them every step of the way as local citizens imagine a smarter and more caring community." – Aaron McRann, Community Foundation of the South Okanagan
- Prince George, BC: “Our Smart & Caring Community Fund will be used to support our six areas of interest: health, social services, sport and recreation, education, arts and culture, and the environment. Embracing the concept in the City of Prince George as it nears its 100th Anniversary, our Mayor will be promoting Prince George as the Smart & Caring Community that we know it is." - Judy Neiser, Prince George Community Foundation
- Oakville, ON: “Smart & Caring Communities is a unique way of connecting so much of what we do, with a wonderful and empowering leader, His Excellency, the Governor General. We have the privilege of working with incredible donors and community leaders, and being able to dialogue with them about this new initiative - how it can help both the broad and local needs and assist in addressing global issues - is a positive for all of us." - Rusty Baillie, Oakville Community Foundation
- Banff, AB: “We are invigorated and grateful for the opportunity to participate in such a crucial initiative. The timing is perfect and we are already sowing the seeds to make Banff a smarter and more caring community." - Lorraine Widmer-Carson, Banff Community Foundation
- Victoria, BC: “Our new Smart & Caring Community Fund will initially focus on physical literacy - giving young children physical skills and confidence that will establish a foundation for lifelong health and well-being. It's a program that's proactive, measurable, and responsive to findings from our local and national Vital Signs® reports that indicate Canada's children are less active and at greater risk from childhood obesity than ever before. In short, it's a program that's smart - and caring." - Sandra Richardson, Victoria Foundation
“...Join me in imagining our country as it could be... a smart and caring nation, where all Canadians can succeed, contribute, and develop their talents to their fullest potential."
David Johnston, Governor General of Canada
Patron, Community Foundations of Canada
Director, Communications and Marketing